Saturday 18 August 2012

Something Blue by Emily Giffin (Book #8)



Something Blue by Emily Giffin
Link: Good Reads

Synopsis:
Darcy Rhone has always been able to rely on a few things: Her beauty and charm.  Her fiance, Dex. Her lifelong best friend, Rachel.  She never needed anything else. Or so she thinks until Dex calls off their dream wedding and she uncovers the ultimate betrayal. Blaming everyone but herself, Darcy flees to London and attempts to re-create her glamorous life on a new continent. But to her dismay, she discovers that her tried-and-true tricks no longer apply--and that her luck has finally expired. It is only then that she can begin her journey toward redemption, forgiveness, and true love.
Review:

There was apparently a lot of people who were unsure if they could like a book from Darcy's perspective after reading Something Borrowed (which I read last year), I can completely understand but there's something in this book that just feels like there's a part missing, like the only reason why Darcy decides to change is because a book was written from her perspective and at some point she would need to. It's also incredibly frustrating that she doesn't move to London until about halfway through the book (or so it felt like), this isn't a spoiler, it's in the synopsis on the back of the book! Since you are completely aware that this will happen, everything before it seems like you're just waiting for it to happen, I wasn't rooting for Darcy before that. 

Maybe if I hadn't read the synopsis, I would have enjoyed this book but I was only really surprised once. The rest was just incredibly predictable. This book is probably the definition of "Beach Read", it's light, airy, doesn't require much concentration and you can just breeze through it. If you're looking for a book to read while you're lounging in the sun, and if you've read Something Borrowed, I recommend you pick up this book to absorb another one of Emily Giffin's addicting books.

What type of read is it (one word!) Easy

Who would enjoy reading this book?  Someone lounging on a beach


Will I read it again? No.

Do you prefer light easy reads over substance? I think light books have a place, not every novel has to change your perspective on life, sometimes they're just fun. I would never say that I'd completely scold either types of books, reading should cover all sides of the spectrum. 

Overall review: 3.5/5

Questions:
  1. Did you read Something Blue? What about it did you like? Didn't like?
  2. Do you prefer light easy reads over deep important novels?
Do you have any recommendations for me to read next? Please send me a message if you do, I'm open to all suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment