Sunday 10 June 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth (Book #3)


Divergent by Veronica Roth


Synopsis:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.
Review:


I picked up this book on the fact that any time I heard someone read it, they finished it either the same day or within two days. It took me two days, but I definitely enjoyed it. The entire plot is fast moving and except for a few items that I half-predicted, the rest is extremely interesting with turns around every corner. I think the reason I loved reading this book so much was because it never got boring, there was never a lull in the storytelling, everything was always happening fast. The story is fascinating and I just lapped it all up and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next.


Although I loved this book and it was great...it had some flaws in it, like that I wished they had gone into more detail about the other factions, or explained more why the society was the way it was. Tris is extremely developed but some of the other characters seem fairly one-dimensional in the story telling. A part of me thinks though that this world could be like Harry Potter, that the first book is fairly short and simple but then as it becomes popular, the author becomes less edited and the world just explodes with more details, I hope that's the case because I'm going to download Insurgent today!  


Overall, this book probably had one of the best storytelling fast-moving books I've read, which is why I'll give it a 5.


What type of read is it (one word!) Fastmoving


Who would enjoy reading this book? Any body who enjoyed The Hunger Games / Dystopian style novels would probably also love this book.


Will I read it again? Maybe, I'm in the middle of the fence on that. Although it's interesting, I think this book would always be best the first time you read it.


What Faction would I be in? I don't think I could be in Dauntless (I'm not confrontational enough) or Amity (I'd get bored!), I think I would be between Candor (sometimes I'm too honest and can't hold my tongue) and Euridite (I love learning), I'd like to think that I have a lot of Abegnation in me, but I honestly think I'm too selfish.


Review (in related to my reading style): This book moved so quickly, I wanted to keep learning more about the story, there weren't that many characters that I truly grew attached to, but the story was so good and interesting, it didn't really matter.


Overall review: 5/5


Questions:
  1. Have you read Divergent? What about it did you like and/or didn't like?
  2. Do you like a book that's plot is so fast moving you can never tell what's coming up next? Or would you prefer if the book had taken it's time and provided more detail to the background?
Do you have any recommendations for me to read next? Please send me a message if you do, I'm open to all suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment